Monday, March 21, 2011

Sword of Truth

I did it.
I finished this amazing 11 book series by Terry Goodkind. I will give a little bit of background but you really can't summarize an amazing story that takes 11 books to tell...
The story is about a man named Richard Cypher who grows up in a medieval-esque land as a humble woods guide. One day he meets a mysterious woman named Kahlan Amnell who is a Confessor, but he doesn't know that, she can make a person completely devoted to her by one touch of her magic. So yes there is magic and Richard's grandfather is a wizard....and his real dad, Darken Rhal, is too. So Richard all of a sudden has the world on his shoulders when he becomes the seeker of truth and is given the sword of truth. Richard is a very interesting person and he grows so much in the books and becomes such a huge intriguing character. There are later more struggles on a larger scale with new leaders and more complex characters, it only gets better with every book! Throughout the series is a struggle of good and evil, forbidden love, war, gore and magic. Everything one could ask for! Terry Goodkinds mind must be an amazing place because after finishing these books they just became so much more complex. I couldn't even imagine how he came up with this intense story! I absolutely love this series and Goodkind will always be a number one author to me. I love the world of fantasy and this was epic and perfect.
I just really felt the need to write how I felt about these books, they have not only been great entertainment but also have taught me so much and have made me a little bit stronger myself. You can identify with the characters so easily and I think that is one of the reasons they are so loved.

I saw ads for the show Legend of the Seeker almost 2 years ago, it was right up my ally so I started to watch it and fell in love with the characters so I got the books and have been reading them since and finished tonight. (It would have been a lot less time had I not had school and read a few things in between.) The shows first season was good but different in many ways than the books, and I really didn't enjoy the second season at all, but they did a great job casting the characters and that is what I love about adaptations. I can see these people in real life and I absolutely love that! So here are the two amazing characters Richard and Kahlan who I will never forget no matter how cheesy it sounds, they are my heros. I'm a bit sad I'm done with the series.

But Terry Goodkind is not...The Omen Machine is his next novel of these two....am I excited? what do you think.

All of this to say, if your up to the challenge, and it is worth it, go read these books, I highly recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment